Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Interesting. Reia's Tony Arcieri debunks Erlang's "single assignment" propaganda.

I guess someone could argue that once you have multiple assignment you're going to be more tempted to write a longer chain of actions as a sequence of statements rather than composing it out of multiple functions ... and this may be a bad thing.

But I've ranted often enough against languages which think its their job to constrain programmers that it better not be me who makes that argument.

Update : I'd like to see Frederik's question about closures (in the comments of that blog-post) answered though.

Update 2: Ulf Wiger points out that it got answered by Robert Virding later in the comments.

2 comments:

Ulf Wiger said...

"Update : I'd like to see Frederick's question about closures (in the comments of that blog-post) answered though.

Didn't Robert Virding answer that one in comment #21?

Composing said...

Ulf : Yes. Rereading that, and trying to get my head round it again, looks like he did. Thanks